Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shopping

John and I went to see Monsters vs. Aliens today, then spent a couple of hours bumming around Bass Pro Shops. Oh, the shopping. John likes fishing lures, so we spent a long time back in the fishing department, checking out the shad. Then he looked at magnets and climbed in and out of the tents while I looked at some books.

Then we slowly made our way through hunting and camo. Yes, I have a lot to buy, but the best part of taking up a new sporting hobby is the equipment. Here's a question, though: how much do you really need? What's necessary, and what's fun-but-useless? I think of my grandfather going hunting thirty years ago, and the minimal equipment he carried. But he might not have taken as many deer as the modern, gadget-bedecked hunter does.

Snake boots, for example. My nephew mentioned hunting around Turrell. There are places around Turrell that are made of snakes. But in November/December? Really?

And how about a handheld GPS? If I'm up around Turrell, I don't think I'd need one. I've always had a good sense of direction, and I don't lose my way easily. But what if I'm up in the Ozarks? over 600,000 acres, some of it quite literally trackless. A GPS might be a fine thing up there.

Assuming modern gun hunting in Arkansas, let's think head to toe: blaze hat, blaze vest, camo shirt/jacket, camo pants, boots, socks, underwear and assorted undergarments, shotgun, shells...

That's all you've got to have. A phone, a knife, and a little go-to-hell kit (food, water, matches, first aid) would probably be good, too.

What else do I want to have? Do I have to have? Is a backpack an option?

No comments:

Post a Comment